Office Tower in Downtown Fort Lauderdale Achieves LEED® Gold Certification
Posted on 9/12/2013Stiles Property Management announced today that the Bank of America Plaza at Las Olas City Centre (LOCC) on Las Olas Boulevard has achieved Leadership in Energy and Environmental (LEED®) Gold certification. The 96.65% leased office tower in downtown Fort Lauderdale is leased and managed by Stiles, its original developer, and owned by Institutional Investors Advised by JP Morgan Asset Management.
"Achieving LEED EB-OM Gold certification while upholding leasing activity including early renewals of existing tenants demonstrates the tremendous dedication of the Stiles and LOCC team, and is a testament of the quality of this iconic Las Olas building," said Chris Rotolo, president of Stiles Property Management. "The industry is being challenged to move faster and reach further than ever before, and LOCC serves as a prime example of what we can accomplish."
The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) awarded the 408,079-square foot, 23-story office building a certification in the category of Existing Buildings Operations Management (EBOM) for meeting LEED standards for energy use, lighting, water and material use, and incorporating a variety of sustainable strategies. In addition to its many sustainable features, perhaps its most evident characteristic is the newly installed LED lighting system that illuminates the building from the ground up.
According to Gavin Cooper, vice president of LED Source, the LED lighting solutions provider in charge of the project, the new LED lighting retrofit allows LOCC to function more efficiently while significantly cutting operational costs.
"We were able to replace the building's power-hungry lighting system with a brilliant, ultra-modern RGB LED system which significantly reduces lighting energy," said Cooper. "The new lighting system will also allow custom light shows in support of holidays, charitable groups, and special events, further cementing the building's prominence on the Fort Lauderdale skyline."
LOCC's new sustainable design features and practices include:
- Recycling program: 27% of waste was recycled and diverted from landfill in the first quarter of 2013
- Waste-to-energy program: The remaining 73% of the building's waste is converted into energy and fed back to the FPL power grid
- Ziggurat LED lighting: New LED lighting was recently retrofitted to significantly reduce maintenance and electric consumption while illuminating the downtown area
- Zero emissions: Carpet tiles are made from recycled materials, generating zero emissions for common area upgrades on multi-tenant floors
- Water conservation: Low flow valves on all toilets and sink aerators on all faucets are installed to conserve water
- "Clean" cleaning: A standardized green cleaning program is implemented
LOCC features ground floor retail space that fronts Las Olas Boulevard. The building is home to both national and local tenants, including: Bank of America, Boies Schiller, Greenberg Traurig LLP, Patriot National Insurance, Farlie & Turner Investment Bank, Gray Robinson P.A., as well as Subway, Offerdahl's, Mancini's and Grille 401 restaurants.
LOCC features a five-story 1,042 space parking garage and a pedestrian-friendly high volume plaza with direct frontage on Las Olas Boulevard. It is Energy Star rated and has won Building of the Year from the Building and Managers Association twice as well as other numerous awards for its management, craftsmanship, rich finishes, quality architecture, spacious floor plates and expansive ocean views.